Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 2015 14:45:17 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
To:        prateek sethi <prateekrootkey@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad disk discovery

Hi,

If your situation is accurate and the disk is not responding properly to =
regular
commands then it=E2=80=99s unlikely that it will respond to SMART =
commands either.
Sometimes these situations are caused by a bad cable, bad controller, or
buggy software/firmware, and only rarely will the standard statistics in =
SMART
pick up these kinds of errors.  SMART is better at tracking wear rates =
and
error rates on the physical media, both HDD and SSD, but even then =
it=E2=80=99s hard
for it to be accurately predictive or even accurately diagnostic.  For =
your case,
I recommend that you describe your hardware and software configuration =
in
more detail, and look for physical abnormalities in the cabling and =
connections.
Once that is ruled and and the rest of us know what kind of hardware =
you=E2=80=99re
dealing with, we might be able to make better commendations.

Scott