Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:24:27 -0500
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixing /usr/include: should this work?

Should the following work?  I tried this first because I was afraid that
I'd trashed some files in /usr/include fooling around with a Linux src
rpm.  My source tree is current as of about 15:30 3/31.

# cd /usr/include
# rm -rf *
# cd /usr/src/include
# make && make install  <== this completed without any errors

At this point, a number of files were still missing.  OK, so I have to do a
{build,install}world after all.

# cd /usr/obj
# rm -rf *
# cd /usr/src
# time make -j4 buildworld

This failed, and I didn't save the output.  Mea culpa.  However, it failed
because in attempting to make dependencies for makeinfo the file
"terminal.c" couldn't find "termcap.h", which sure enough wasn't in
/usr/include.

I've now restored a full /usr/include from another machine that's almost
up-to-date, and am in the middle of building world.

I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that a buildworld didn't
depend on anything outside /usr/src.  If I'm wrong, just ignore me -- I
haven't broken anything I can't fix one way or another :).  This is just
a note to mention something that didn't work quite the way I expected it
to.

--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \