Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:23:49 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        GB Clark II <gclarkii@vsservices.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

Lowell Gilbert <lowell@be-well.ilk.org> types:
> GB Clark II <gclarkii@vsservices.com> writes:
> > There was at one time a hole in emacs that would let you write system files.
> > This was about 8 or 9 years ago I belive.
> Impossible.  emacs runs with user privileges, so no hole in it could
> have any effect like this.

Gnu emacs comes with a command called "movemail" that moves a users
mailbox before sicking rmail on it. It ran with elevated privileges.
The hole referred to was actually in movemail; it could be coerced
doing arbitrary copies.

I fixed this at Berkely, which I left over 11 years ago.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.