Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 14:16:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Even more info on daily panics...

Ok -

 Just so everyone doesn't think I've vanished from the face
of the earth :-)  I thought I'd provide a little status.

 I'm now running a 2.1.5-S kernel I grabbed on Oct. 17th.

 This kernel has two changes to is:

	1) The "patch" Terry suggested to vfs_subr.c
	    [which, in itself didn't stop my problem from
	    reoccuring.]

	2) The change in vrele() to catch when the usecount
	    goes negative.

 I installed that kernel on Nov. 7th...

 It is now Sat Nov  9 14:11:33 EST 1996, and uptime shows:
    2:11PM  up 2 days,  1:14, 1 user, load averages: 0.81, 0.90, 0.83

 That is, the machine has not panic'd since I installed this
kernel.

 There is one possibility - perhaps, when I was trying Terry's
suggested patch, I accidently installed the wrong kernel... maybe
Terry's patch does work-around the problem.

 There is another possibility - in the past, the machine would
sometimes go for two or three days without a panic.  It would rarely
go longer than that.  I could be in one of these "lulls."

 There is still another possibility, gcc 2.6.3 has a bug which
is tickled by the vrele() code.  Changing the source caused the
bad code to not be generated [I'll be the first one to admit
that I'm reaching here...]

 Anyway, as soon as something happens, either the typical
panic's I've been getting, or a new panic from usecount<0 in
vrele() - I'll let everyone know...

	- Dave Rivers -