Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:42:20 -0500
From:      "Andrew Gould" <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
To:        Albert.Shih@obspm.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern.ipc.sem* and postgresql

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Classic question but I don't find the answers by google.
>
> If I've server with X procs, N Go ram and if the only purpose of this
> server is to run a postgresql daemon how can I known/calculate what I mus=
> give to those variable
>
>        set kern.ipc.semmni=3D?
>        set kern.ipc.semmns=3D?
>        set kern.ipc.semmnu=3D?
>
> and
>
>        kern.ipc.shmall=3D?
>        kern.ipc.shmmax=3D?
>        kern.ipc.semmap=3D?
>
> Once those variables is determined how can I known/calculate the variable
> in postgresql.conf ?
>
> shared_buffers =3D 32MB                   # min 128kB or max_connections*=
16kB
>                                        # (change requires restart)
> #temp_buffers =3D 8MB                     # min 800kB
> #max_prepared_transactions =3D 5          # can be 0 or more
>                                        # (change requires restart)
> # Note:  Increasing max_prepared_transactions costs ~600 bytes of shared
> # memory
> # per transaction slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).
> #work_mem =3D 1MB                         # min 64kB
> #maintenance_work_mem =3D 16MB            # min 1MB
> #max_stack_depth =3D 2MB                  # min 100kB
> # - Free Space Map -
> max_fsm_pages =3D 204800                  # min max_fsm_relations*16, 6 b=
ytes
> each
>                                        # (change requires restart)
> #max_fsm_relations =3D 1000               # min 100, ~70 bytes each
>                                        # (change requires restart)
>
> # - Kernel Resource Usage -
>
> #max_files_per_process =3D 1000           # min 25
>
> ?
>
> Regards.
>
> JAS
> --
> Albert SHIH
> SIO batiment 15
> Observatoire de Paris Meudon
> 5 Place Jules Janssen
> 92195 Meudon Cedex
> Heure local/Local time:
> Mer 27 ao=FB 2008 21:06:02 CEST

I used to perform financial/clinical data analysis using a PostgreSQL serve=
on FreeBSD, which entailed complex questions and a lot of data processing
per query.  I adjusted the PostgreSQL server using the configuration files;
but never found a need to adjust the FreeBSD kernel.

You can find information to help you at the links below.

Managing Kernel Resources section of the manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/kernel-resources.html

Hardware performance tuning section of the PostgreSQL manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/books/aw_pgsql/hw_performance=
/

Global User Configuration Guide at Varlena's website:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html

Best of luck,

Andrew