Date:      Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:41:29 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Dave Webster <dwebman@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Linking vm error" when building java

Dave,

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 12:31:20AM -0700, Dave Webster wrote:
> I get the following error when running gmake to install JDK to FreeBSD.
[snip]
> Everything was going along great until the error message.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Its really a lot easier to do this through the ports system.  Just

cd /usr/ports/java/jdk14 && make install

Then follow the instructions.  You will need Linux emulation enabled and
linprocfs mounted.

The manual build is really only for people who are prepared to investigate
and fix problems themselves (or who are masochists like me).  That said,
your problem is that back when the last 1.4.2 patchset was released -lkse
was seen as the correct linkage for the threading libraries on FreeBSD
5.x.  If you replace it with -pthread it will probably work.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org