Date:      Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:37:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pNFS server for testing (alpha test stage)

Hi,

I've been working on a pNFS server for FreeBSD over the last few
months and it is now at what I would consider alpha test. One
thing I know is currently broken is appending to files (which
sometimes get truncated). I'm sure there are lots of others.
The dream is that someday this will allow a FreeBSD NFS service
to scale beyond what a single server configuration can handle.

Performance could be described as slow->very slow with the
exception of reading/writing, which works at wire speed on
my slow hardware (100Mbit/sec). Hopefully some of this will
be resolved over time, but I'd guess that things like file
creation will always be slow compared to doing NFS against
a file system like ZFS.

I will continue to work on it and update the project on svn
but, to be honest, it won't go much further unless others
jump "on the bandwagon" to do testing on larger hardware
configurations than I have.

Essentially this server consists of a GlusterFS cluster
and uses GlusterFS's NFSv3 server to implement the data
server component (read/write of files). Since the NFSv3
Read/Write RPCs are directed to the system in the GlusterFS
cluster that the file exists on, it is hoped that this
will scale.
Multiple metadata servers (NFSv4.1 servers that do everything
except reading/writing) may be possible, but that is a
ways off.

At this time I have only tested against the modified NFSv4.1
client in the projects area for FreeBSD. I hope to start
testing against a Linux client sometime soon. (It uses a
pNFS layout scheme called "Flexible File Layout" which is
still at the internet draft stage.)

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in testing this, I have
a primitive document at:
  http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/pnfs-setup.txt
that will hopefully give you a starting point and, as
this file notes, the modified sources are in FreeBSD's
subversion repository in base/projects/pnfs-server.

Have fun with it, if you try it, rick