Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:37:21 -0400
From:      Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: favorite ports?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:32:15 +0200
"Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za> wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> as said by others, this question is rather vague.  It depends on what
> you
> need...
>
> Anyway, some that I tend to install on most boxes I configure (I've
> probably
> done about 30 now):
>
> Apache+SSL        for web servers.
> mod-perl          for web-servers.
> php4              if you prefer PHP to Perl.
> PostgreSQL        if you need a relational DB.
> bash              'cos I like it.
> mreport           usage reports for mail servers.
> majordomo         if you need to manage mailing lists.
>
> When I build firewalls I add NOTHING (except bash)!  FreeBSD with ipfw
> does
> the job beautifully.
>
> I must admit with embarrassment that I have yet to get CVSup running.
> It's
> about time I do something about that!
>
> Others you might look for under ports (like ssh, sendmail, popper,
> named(BIND), ntp) are part of the standard FreeBSD installation.  I
> have
> never had reason to use anything other than BSD's own for these.

what i mean is when you guys do a fresh install of freebsd for a
workstation/desktop type computer...what apps do you install?  for
instance  i've learned about nethack, nessus, mtr, and several other
apps from various mailing lists that otherwise i wouldn't have known
that these apps existed.  i'm just asking what apps you guys might be
asking so if there's any great apps out there i don't know about, you
guys would be able to point out.

i couple have said that i should just install what i need, how do i know
what i need if i don't know whats out there?  yea i know if i need an
mp3/ripper frontend to install grip, if i need an network debugger get
nessus/mtr/ethereal...but what about the apps that i don't know about?
i don't have time to INSTALL every app in the ports tree.....

nathan