Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:18:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Technical Director <trodat@ultratrends.com>
To:        MPAREDES@telmex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp with user root

Hello,

bootptab means you are using your server in a working environment, so
consider not using an unsafe method like ftp to get the file from A to B.

If your lan is TOTALLY non-public and has no ways for access you can open
up ftp for user root by modifying the /etc/ftpusers file and knock out
the root entry. You will have to HUP inetd as well as make sure the ftpd
line is not remmed in /etc/inetd.conf.

If though you have access to edit/change ftpusers then you have enough
privilege to ftp up this file to a non-important user and then make a
chown root:wheel after you have placed and moved the file.

The key to remember is if you leave root as an ftp option and forget to
undo the changes you most likely will lose the fear of leaving such a
beast as root-ftp access open and continue to use it until one day when
someone using a variety of means captures your root password on the clear
text ftp protocol.

Have you considered:

>sftp - Allows you to access the system in a secure like method including
placing files from a client to server.

>nfs - Allows you to operate on the files directly with a preplanned who
can and who can't access the files. Standard login takes care of the rest.

Hope this helps.

R.