Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:59:44 -0600
From:      SigmaX <scottclansman@cwazy.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alex D'Elia <alex@fan.priv.at>
Subject:   Re: Firewalls and Webmin

Alex D'Elia wrote:

>Hi SigmaX,
>
>* SigmaX <scottclansman@cwazy.co.uk> [050217 17:45]:
>

>>Heya;
>>I have FreeBSD 5.3 and need to set up the firewall.  I've never done
>>anything with Firewall on a *NIX system without the help of Webmin, and
>>I'm new to BSD in general.  Webmin gives me an error when trying to use
>>the BSD Firewall module.
>>
>>I tried doing "ipfw sh" to see what was up, and I get "ipfw:
>>getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available"
>>
>>I found a post from a while back that said I need to recompile my
>>kernel.  I can't imagine that that's the case for a firewall in
>>general.  I need a firewall... if I can't use Webmin (read: ipfw) I'm
>>gonna need a REALLY good howto :-P. Any help?
>>

>first of all I say ( as someone else will do ) that you should post
>technical questions to freebsd-questions because this is a list of
>discussion about FreeBSD and not about technical problems.
>But I can tell you that if you follow the instructions of the
>handbook, you will for sure have enough informations to get you going.
>The handbook its a really good documentation, not only for FreeBSD
>but for a lot more ;^)
>
>And Yes, you need to recompile the kernel if you want to use your
>system for a firewalling purpose.
>But that's not an hack ..... its preety easy.
>I personally find it easyer than in linux ( with all respects ),
>
>I already used ipfw in FreeBSD-4.X and ipf and pf with OpenBSD.
>Now that the new STABLE BRANCH 5.3 its including the pf firewall
>from OpenBSD, I use that, 'cause I find it really powerfull and yet
>nice to configure.
>
>just take a look at the handbook, and you'll find a lot of answers
>to your questions.
>You find the documentation also on your system: /usr/share/doc/en/books
>for english language documentation :)
>
>Have fun with FreeBSD.
>Its Free, Powerfull and has a DAEMON in it.
>alex

Well, from what I can tell you can enable IPFW as a loadable module by
adding a line to /etc/rc.conf.  However, I was stupid enough to simply
add the line and reboot... without changing the default firewall setup.
I'm five miles away from the server accessing over SSH... that doesn't
go over well when you enable a firewall that defaults to block
everything :-|.  Anyway, I should be able to figure it out from here,
I'll just have to go in and locally configure (Oh no!!  Use a machine
locally?  You'd think I was going back to Windows!)

          Thanx for the help... even if all you did was tell me to read
the instructions before I tried to put the kit together,
                       SigmaX

--
Registered Linux Freak #: 366,862

"If you think of MS-DOS as mono, and Windows as stereo, then Linux is Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Sound with Bass Boost and all the music is free."