Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:53:14 +1000
From:      Michael McCormack <jne@iinet.net.au>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   AML and other troubles

Greetings all.

I'm running into huge trouble trying to get my laptop up and running
with FreeBSD. It is a Compaq armada e500. I know this model works under
BSD; The FLCL says so :) However, mine seems to be somewhat broken.

I get these errors at boot:

ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.C005.C00B] (Node
0xc136b920), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT
ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.C005.C00F] (Node
0xc136b900), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT
ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.C005._CRS] (Node
0xc136b8e0), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT
ACPI-0226: *** Error: Return object type is incorrect [\\_SB_.C005._CRS]
(Node 0xc136b8e0), AE_TYPE
can't fetch resources for \\_SB_.C005 - AE_TYPE

I dumped out my DSDT and had a look thru it. \_SB_.C005 seems to be a
device with _HID "PNP0A03" (or as compaq prefers, "*PNP0A03" -- more on
that later). AFAIK, PNP0A03 is a PCI root bridge. I'm thinking not being
able to fetch resources for a root bridge is a Bad Thing. This also ties
into the problems I'm having with the video card.. startx just hangs.
xf86cfg hangs. xf86config runs, but the generated config file causes
startx to hang no matter what I choose (even generic VGA). There's never
any errors in the logfile, it just stops after (surprise!) the PCI probe
stuff.

The system is dual boot, freeBSD and win'98, since some of the settings
and stuff can only be accessed from windows software. I have similar
problems under 'doze.. The default memory address setting of the AGP
bridge conflicts with just about everything on the system; With the
default setting I can't get better than 640x480x8bit colour. However, If
I manually override the memory address setting of the AGP bridge, i get
1024x768x24bit, happiness, puppies, etc.

I consider myself a reasonably non-crap programmer, and I've already
started debugging my DSDT AML; So far I've removed the "*" in front of
all the device names, and inserted a couple "return(0)" statements so it
compiles without errors (only warnings..) but I have no clue where to
start when it comes to fixing the above errors. I'd be more than happy
to do the hard work myself and post the diffs somewhere if somebody
could just tell me what to look for :)

I can post dmesg output, aml, logfiles or anything else people want if
it will help. And yes, I've tried several different BIOS revisions. All
give the same errors. I'm attempting to debug the most recent one.

Thanks.
-Michael.