Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 05:41:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      misterweb <zaph0d@misterweb.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AHA2940/Compaq 1 gig drive related question

Currently i'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7, and it works great. Except I have to
be there to boot it.

The reason for that is, whenever it comes up, instead of going to the
correct drive to get the kernel (at the boot: prompt), I have to press F5,
then F1, to get to a prompt. THen it wants to goto ID 1 to boot. I want it
to goto ID 0.

I have configured everything I have found, installed 3 seperate types of
FreeBSD, and various partition configurations, with no avail. As well as
recompileing the kernel, makeing sure the 'root on sd0' etc etc is all
setup correctly.

The closest solution I can find listed anywhere, is how the partitioning
is done with the sectors. I've tried many different partition configs,
with the same result.

Can I atleast, at the minimum, create a boot-floppy to auto-load the
correct kernel? Or is there prehaps a place I can go to force the
bootloader to look on a certain drive to boot? It's just sd0a/kernel, so
it should be finding it by default.

Thanks, and I apprechiate any help someone could provide..

jpm