Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 20:28:12 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: loopback not working for anything other than 127.0.0.1

On Sunday, September 23, 2001 17:20:56 -0700, "Chad R. Larson"
<chad@DCFinc.com> wrote:
+-----
| Interesting.  There's been a popular rumour that Microsoft availed
| itself to the liberal BSD license, and availed itself to the FreeBSD
| protocol stack.  The rumor further said that if you pointed an OS
| fingerprinting program at a Win2k box it would be identified as
| FreeBSD.
+--->8

nmap has never exhibited any tendency to confuse Win2k and FreeBSD, in my
experience; and Win2k has always had those "charming" MS-TCP/IP
idiosyncracies to set it apart.

At a guess, those rumors were founded on probes of microsoft.com and
hotmail.com.  Microsoft has acknowledged that it has used FreeBSD for
firewalling, I believe, so it's likely just a case of mistaken identity.

--
brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu