Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:06:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@apfel.de>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/staroffice - Imported sources

Michael Smith writes:
>Wolfram Schneider stands accused of saying:
>> Michael Smith writes:
>> >Because StarDivision are a small company, and a group of their
>> >employees have gone out on a limb and done the Linux port at obviously
>> >considerable personal credibility risk.  Demanding another port of
>> >them would be unlikely to enthuse them at all, especially when we
>> >emulate the Linux ABI so well.
>>
>> StarDivision is a major player in Germany. StarDivision sells some
>> 20-50000 user licenses to large German companies.
>
>Fair enough, but that's still "small" compared to, say Lotus or
>WordPerfect.

I forgot the main reason for StarDivision success: staroffice is
cheap! The official prices in Germany are 499DM for StarOffice and
1100-1900DM for MS Office 97. From my memory, the office market in
Germany is 60% for Microsoft, 20% StarDivision, and 20% for the rest
(Lotus, WordPerfect, etc.)

Wolfram