Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 12:53:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au (michael butler)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple 2842 controllers

> Sorry .. I know this isn't quite the place but "the people who know" are in
> here ..
>
> I have an old 486DX/4 motherboard that I was trying to squeeze two Adaptec
> 2842 controllers onto .. a small(-ish) news server. It has 3 VL slots but
> they're documented as "J18 & J19 are master 0, J20 is master 1".
>
> I tried the controllers in J18 & J19 but the second one has all sorts of
> bother, can't read IRQ correctly from EEPROM and selects 3.6 meg async for a
> Quantum Atlas 4.3G .. not quite what I was after :-(
>
> I couldn't take the machine down for longer than ~15 mins so I thought I'd
> ask here before making customers any more cranky .. do I have to have them
> in J18 & J20 for this to work ?

Close.  When they say ``J18 & J19 are master 0'' it really means that only
one of the slots can be used for a master card, so you can put a master
in slot J18 OR J19 AND J20.  Thus you could use J18 & J20 OR J19 & J20
for the 2842's.

Good luck....

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD