Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 16:39:20 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap space...

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> So TOO much swap space can be a bad thing?  I just saw a comment saying
> too much space will allow the OS to swap everything to disk and reduce
> performance.

Not really. Besides, consider the alternative: not enough swap. Then what
is the poor overloaded OS to do when you heap on yet more work?

That it will allow the OS to swap out all does not mean the OS will
actually do just that. Well, maybe some OS's do or at least it looks like
some do, but I haven't noticed it with Unixen.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.