Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 00:40:12 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        perl@netmug.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd mirroring

It was Doug White who wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Michael Haro wrote:
>
> > I was reading about ccd and how it can be used to mirror data kinda like
> > RAID level 1.
> >
> > If one of the drives crash, how would I remedy the crash?
> > The drives I currently have are different sizes, would this cause a
> > problem when using ccd?
>
> Yes, it's not permitted.  CCD must use homogenous disks.
>
> Recovering a mirrored disk involves bringing over a disklabel and fixing
> some other bits.  It's not a seamless recovery, but the data is still
> there.  I'm not familiar with the entire procedure but someone probably
> figured it out at some point and posted about it :)

A while ago, I had this problem.
One of my mirrored disks produced more and more read errors until
it effectively stopped working.

All I had to do was to reconfig ccd to use only one disk as a
"mirrored" ccd disk. After replacing the defective one with a
new (much larger :-) one, I simply made a partition of the size
(same number of blocks in disklabel) as the old one and copied
with `dd' the first ccd disk (actually only the ccd-partition,
of course) to the new partition.
(Copying etc. was done with the ccd filesystem unmounted and
not ccdconfig'd, of course.)
Then, all I had to do was to ccdconfig and mount again.
(not to forget to tell ccd in ccd.conf to use both disks again. :-)

BTW, a question: I understand that for mirroring ccd writes
data on both disks "simultaneously".
But what about reading ?
Will it catch inconsistencies between the two disks ?

Hope it helps,
Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)