Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 06:24:39 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Well, I have proper name & X locale installed, why xterm still

In message <199510190257.MAA14837@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au> David
    Dawes writes:

>They are the ones I have installed (they are part of our current
>alpha version of XFree86).

>When I then do:

>  setenv ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE
>  setenv LANG ru_SU.KOI8-R

>and start xterm, it starts up without any problems.

>If I remove either of those lines from locale.dir or locale.alias
>it dumps core (and dumps core rather than just ignoring a locale it
>doesn't recognise only because the assumption that the initial locale
>is "C" isn't true).

>Perhaps you should send me your /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale directory.

David, I just check all things that you mention, but it still fails.
Can you send me your locale dir please? Since I have russian locale
running normally, it will be best to test it here.
Thanx for your help.

I have two clues about it.
1) Does KOI8-R as registered name hardcoded somewhere inside X lib?
(I suspect my 3.1.2 don't have it as registered name).
2) Does you have installed
/usr/share/locale/ru_SU.KOI8-R/{LC_CTYPE,LC_COLLATE,LC_TIME}?
(when I remove this dir, xterm stops core dump).

BTW, could you please add following names list to current XFree
locale.alias? (to be compatible with RFC 1700 and FreeBSD 2.1)

da_DK.ISO_8859-1 da_DK.ISO8859-1
de_AT.ISO_8859-1 de_AT.ISO8859-1
de_CH.ISO_8859-1 de_CH.ISO8859-1
de_DE.ISO_8859-1 de_DE.ISO8859-1
en_AU.ISO_8859-1 en_AU.ISO8859-1
en_CA.ISO_8859-1 en_CA.ISO8859-1
en_GB.ISO_8859-1 en_GB.ISO8859-1
en_US.ISO_8859-1 en_US.ISO8859-1
es_ES.ISO_8859-1 es_ES.ISO8859-1
fi_FI.ISO_8859-1 fi_FI.ISO8859-1
fr_BE.ISO_8859-1 fr_BE.ISO8859-1
fr_CA.ISO_8859-1 fr_CA.ISO8859-1
fr_CH.ISO_8859-1 fr_CH.ISO8859-1
fr_FR.ISO_8859-1 fr_FR.ISO8859-1
is_IS.ISO_8859-1 is_IS.ISO8859-1
it_CH.ISO_8859-1 it_CH.ISO8859-1
it_IT.ISO_8859-1 it_IT.ISO8859-1
nl_BE.ISO_8859-1 nl_BE.ISO8859-1
nl_NL.ISO_8859-1 nl_NL.ISO8859-1
no_NO.ISO_8859-1 no_NO.ISO8859-1
pt_PT.ISO_8859-1 pt_PT.ISO8859-1
sv_SE.ISO_8859-1 sv_SE.ISO8859-1

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -