Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:12:42 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        Divacky Roman <xdivac02@stud.fit.vutbr.cz>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: removed COMPAT_43 from GENERIC (and other configs)

Quoting Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk> (from Thu, 15 Jun =20
2006 22:50:52 +0100):

> Divacky Roman wrote:
>> thank you alexander!
>>
>> just a note... COMPAT_43 removal gives a huge improvement in gepid()
>> performance and also kris reported that some highly contested mutexes
>> are less contested without COMPAT_43, so its great to finally have
>> this removed.
>
> Interesting is this also viable in 6.1 / 5.4 or has additional
> work been done to make this possible?

There was work done in the linuxolator to make this possible. There =20
was also some work done in the TTY code, to seperate COMPAT_43TTY and =20
COMPAT_43. I don't know if this is already done in 5.4 or 6.1. If =20
there exists COMPAT_43TTY and you don't need the linuxolator, you can =20
give it a try.

Removing COMPAT_43TTY will break some ports according to phk.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Selling GoodYear Eagle F1 235/40ZR18, 2x 4mm + 2x 5mm, ~150 EUR
you have to pick it up between Germany/Saarland and Luxembourg/Capellen
http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137