Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:15:19 +1200
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        "Freebsd-Stable@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Disk geometry oddity

I'm in the process of removing a concatenated vinum volume, consisting
of a partition/slice on da0 plus the entire da1. The two drives are 36GB
SCSI.

I removed the vinum configuration with 'vinum resetconfig' and then just
created a new partition etc. on da1 and mounted it. Then I wanted to
reclaim the rest of the unused disk space on da0 (about 18GB) with
/stand/sysinstall, but got this warning that I haven't seen before.

                    lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq Message
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
                    xWARNING:  A geometry of 99565/40/18 for da0 is
incorrect.  Using  x
                    xa more likely geometry.  If this geometry is
incorrect or you     x
                    xare unsure as to whether or not it's correct,
please consult      x
                    xthe Hardware Guide in the Documentation submenu or
use the        x
                    x(G)eometry command to change it now.
                    xRemember: you need to enter whatever your BIOS
thinks the         x
                    xgeometry is!  For IDE, it's what you were told in
the BIOS        x
                    xsetup. For SCSI, it's the translation mode your
controller is     x
                    xusing.  Do NOT use a ``physical geometry''.

tqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq(100%)qqu
                    x                           [  OK  ]
                    mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq[ Press enter to continue
]qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

Fdisk says:

Disk name:      da0                                    FDISK Partition
Editor
DISK Geometry:  4462 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 71682030 sectors
(35000MB)

Offset       Size(ST)        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype
Flags

         0   71687340   71687339    da0s1      3    freebsd      165

Which is presumably the "more likely geometry". The amount of sectors in
the warning message works out as 71,686,800 which is 4,770 more than
what fdisk thinks.

I don't get warning message with da1, however.

Is this a side-effect of "dangerously dedicated mode"? I'm hesitant to
make any changes to the partition table of da0 at this stage.

If this is described in a FAQ/How-To/mailing list archive somewhere,
apologies and please direct me to the right place... :-)

Cheers,

-- Juha