Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:33:53 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        Paul Murphy <pmurphy@earthling.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpdate error? msg.

-On [19991124 04:55], Paul Murphy (pmurphy@earthling.net) wrote:
>Nova.conyers.net kernel log messages:
>> calcru: negative time of -695417471 usec for pid 1966 (cron)
>
> This message occasionally shows up in syslog, it is presumably from
>ntpdate (my only cron job). Is this an error that needs to be fixed or
>nothing to worry about?

Per suggestion of Daniel Sobral when I enquired if this was in the FAQ:

Possibly, but the error has been caused by different bugs at different
times.  Have you tried sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1?  Also, check
LINT, NTIMECOUNTER.

And I like to add, look at
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/troubleshoot.html#AEN1205

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      bART Internet Services /