Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2014 11:29:13 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Backing Up a journaled FS

I hope everyone enjoyed their foods & drinks during Christmas:)

Now, being new to 10-RELEASE, things continue to amaze me, but I attribute
that to my slowness in understanding 10.

I have been used to 8.x and below so much that when changes started getting
into 9.x and into 10.x I was simply overwhelmed. Now it's biting.

I have a server I installed with two identical disks. I used BSD labels
instead of GPT and I had it a little rough creating my slices, because I am
used to a situation where I only created / amd swap for such servers
because it made life easy for me during backup. I would completely wipe all
data on the second disk every Saturday, via a cron, and write it with data
from the primary/running/active disk as a means of backup. Not so dandy but
works quite fine anyway.

Now I have gotten to a point where I am stopped in my tracks because I
cannot do dump/restore on a journaled fs:

root@mail:/ # mount
/dev/ada0a on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/ada1a on /disk2 (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)

root@mail:/ # df -h
Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ada0a    446G    6.5G    403G     2%    /
devfs         1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ada1a    446G     32M    410G     0%    /disk2
fdescfs       1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev/fd

root@mail:/ # ls -al /disk2/
total 32840
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel        32768 Dec 22 16:28 .
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel         1024 Dec 26 16:30 ..
drwxrwxr-x   2 root  operator       512 Dec 22 16:28 .snap
-r--------   1 root  wheel     33554432 Dec 22 16:28 .sujournal

root@mail:/ # grep dump /scripts/backup_primary_disk.sh
/sbin/dump -L0af - / | (cd /disk2/; restore -rf - )

root@mail:/ # /sbin/dump -L0af - / | (cd /disk2/; restore -rf -)
mksnap_ffs: Cannot create snapshot //.snap/dump_snapshot: /: Snapshots are
not yet supported when running with journaled soft updates: Operation
not supported
dump: Cannot create //.snap/dump_snapshot: No such file or directory

Tape is not a dump tape
root@mail:/ #

So, do I have to disable the journaling option from the FS, or is there a
better way to achieve the same result with journaling still on?

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,