Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:53:51 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ruby-optparst + portupgrade

On 12 Aug 2002 at 20:24, Kevin Golding boldly uttered:

> Someone, quite probably Scott Gerhardt, once wrote:
> >My portupgrade et.al. Does not work with the following error:
> >
> >/usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:34:in `require': No such file to load --
> >optparse (LoadError)
> >        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:34
>
> >I though reinstalling ruby-optparse would fix the problem but ruby-optparse
> >does not seem to be in the ports tree anymore, what happened to it?
>
> It got integrated into ruby-shim.
>
> Probably best to just pkg_delete portupgrade and install a more recent
> version that uses shim instead.
>
> Kevin

I have found in the vast majority of cases that trying to upgrade
portupgrade (ie "portupgrade -R portupgrade") causes more problems
than it solves.. dependency issues and other failures.

Now I typically just remove portupgrade and reinstall whenever it
gets out of date, sometimes removing the Ruby modules as well. (so
the latest ones get installed when I reinstall portupgrade)

Luckily I don't have any other ports/packages that depend on Ruby on
any of the boxes I manage.

--
Philip J. Koenig
pjklist@ekahuna.com