Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:11:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange error

Well, I finally got annoyed enough to stay up and work on this 'strange
error'.

After liberating the drive from the library (no small feat) I set it up
sans-case (just the mechanics and electronics sitting on a shelf) and
attempted to introduce it to Win95.  Win95, being its normal reliable
self, froze up and attempted to make good time towards a blue screen.  It
appears that Win95 will retry a 'START UNIT' command followed by a 'TEST
UNIT READY forever, until success.  As Peter da Silva is wont to say
"Bugger Bill Gates with a woodchuck."

I was not pleased.  My problem now looks like a hardware problem and if
any of you have ever opened up a HP Magneto Optical unit you know the
depths of my despair.

Listening to the drive attempt to spin up a cart gave me the bright idea
that the drive may have some sort of start capacitor, which, being flaky
or smokeless, is causing these problems.

Undaunted by the sheer complexity and small ribbon strips in the drive, I
disassembled most of the major components and re-assembled them, checking
contacts etc.  I did not find my fabled start capacitor.  (Screwy direct
drive stepper.)

My efforts were rewarded with the same noise, plus a rather unhealthy
'click'.

Not good.

I happen to recall my old, dead C1716T (the drive in question is a C1716C)
and figure "what the heck, I'll keep going until I hit the pacific or I
let the smoke out."

I swap the good controller assy. onto the motor frame and -nothing-.
Knowing the state of the unfortunate donor drive I grit my teeth and pull
the ejector frame sled and perform the swap.

*Presto*

30 minutes later and a library nearly full of happy MO carts I can finally
see the disks, mount data and the whole nine yards.

There are a few outstanding CAM problems I need to track down for Kenneth
but Yippie! my cool cat scaring surplus store reject works.

I wonder if I can convince the other unit to show some signs of life now.

Kenneth, thanks for all the help and suggestions and thanks to everyone
else who put up with my complete waste of bandwidth during my attempts to
get this blasted piece of hardware working.

The new CAM stuff rules alot; I'm really happy with it.  Far less
hoop-jumping than the last time I had to get MO hardware running under
FreeBSD.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |