Date:      Thu, 27 Oct 2022 02:26:03 +0000
From:      Pau Amma <pauamma@freebsd.org>
To:        Mitchell Horne <mhorne@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Documentation of /usr/src directory layout

On 2022-10-26 16:07, Mitchell Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently, hier(7) contains detailed but outdated [1] documentation of
> the directory structure under /usr/src. The src tree's README.md file
> duplicates much of this information by maintaining a distinctly
> incomplete table.

Noting that (on 13.1 at least) README.md is a lightly markdownized
version of README. If they're not going to be kept consistent going
forward, one should be removed. (As mentioned elsethread, keeping
README.md makes sense given GitHub and others display it by default.)

Re removing that info from hier(7) instead of updating it, a possible
disadvantage I see to that is people without source losing access to it.
I'm not familiar with the audience: how likely is it that people without
source installed will have a need for (a more current version of) that
part of it?

--
#BlackLivesMatter #TransWomenAreWomen #AccessibilityMatters
#StandWithUkrainians