Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:36:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: putting FreeBSD in an extended partition

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> >> Do you mean as long as I can boot it, the kernel itself has no problem
> >> with being putting into a DOS extended partition?
> >
> > Loader(8) can't grok it and the kernel can't mount it as root.
>
> Actually, that's not entirely true.
>
> The problem with booting is that you cannot mark an extended partition
> entry as 'active' (without some nasty, nonstandard hacks).
>
> If that were possible, it would be trivial to improve the loader to deal
> with that case.  The kernel most certainly can mount an extended partition
> as root, however.

I know this is a minor subject.  But Why Linux can be put in an extended
partition while FreeBSD cannot? I can not find anywhere (e.g.
kern/subr_diskslice.c) in the kernel that prevents this and I know LILO
can boot FreeBSD. If it is the problem of booteasy, then we can use other
boot loader.

-Zhihui