Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:07:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        alfred@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POSIX semaphores and fork() -- when any process exits, they all lose , access

  http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/sem_open.html

> It strikes me that the semaphores
> should either be shared as of exit, with the child and the parent both
> having references to it, or they should remain only with the parent, and
> the childs semaphores should be invalidated/corrupted/something.  No doubt
> POSIX has something to say on the topic.
>
> Looking at the kernel code, it looks like the semaphore code is aware of
> process exit() and exec(), but not fork(), which is probably what leads to
> this behavior.  Since POSIX semaphores in the threaded case involve
> cooperation between the library and kernel to implement, I suspect getting
> the semantics right may require a bit of work.

There shouldn't be anything required in libc or the thread libraries.
Shared semaphore lookups are done in the kernel.  The thread libraries
really only deal with non-named and unshared (*) semaphores.

(*) We don't yet support shared semaphores (or mutexes/CVs) 'cause
    it would cause a big ABI change and probably wreak havoc on
    ports.  This needs to be done, but hopefully only after we
    decide on symbol versioning vs library version bumping (don't
    hijack this thread ;-)).

> Does anyone know what the semantics should be, and/or is interested in
> making our implementation fit those semantics?

I'm not familiar with the kernel bits, but I don't think you
have to be concerned with the thread libraries.

--
Dan Eischen