Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:32:20 +0200
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   VirtualBox on FreeBSD host and Windows8 guest

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows 8 in Virtualbox on a 32-bit FBSD host.
(FreebSD 8.3 and VB 4.1.18).

Windows refuses to install and this is due to NX not being present (it
is enabled in the virtual machine settings). NX is also enabled in my
bios as can be seen in the boot log of the FreeBSD host:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P9700  @ 2.80GHz (2793.02-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x1067a  Family = 6  Model = 17  Stepping = 10
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x408e3fd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,XSAVE>
  AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant

When I create a new virtual machine with the xact same settings as the W8 host,
and boot a FreeSBD installation CD, I see that none of the AMD features are
exposed to the guest os:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P9700  @ 2.80GHz (2883.13-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x1067a  Family = 6  Model = 17  Stepping = 10
  Features=0x783fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
  Features2=0x209<SSE3,MON,SSSE3>
  TSC: P-state invariant

Is this just not supported, or is there a secret setting?

-Guido