Date:      Thu, 27 Oct 2022 12:18:57 -0300
From:      Mitchell Horne <mhorne@freebsd.org>
To:        Pau Amma <pauamma@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Documentation of /usr/src directory layout

On 10/26/22 23:26, Pau Amma wrote:
> On 2022-10-26 16:07, Mitchell Horne wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Currently, hier(7) contains detailed but outdated [1] documentation of
>> the directory structure under /usr/src. The src tree's README.md file
>> duplicates much of this information by maintaining a distinctly
>> incomplete table.
>
> Noting that (on 13.1 at least) README.md is a lightly markdownized
> version of README. If they're not going to be kept consistent going
> forward, one should be removed. (As mentioned elsethread, keeping
> README.md makes sense given GitHub and others display it by default.)

Great note, I would not have noticed this. I'll make sure that this gets
cleaned up.

> Re removing that info from hier(7) instead of updating it, a possible
> disadvantage I see to that is people without source losing access to it.
> I'm not familiar with the audience: how likely is it that people without
> source installed will have a need for (a more current version of) that
> part of it?

This is the only "regression" I can think of with the new scheme. I can
rationalize it by saying that nobody without a copy of the source tree
should ever *need* to know about its layout/structure. If one *wants* to
learn this information, it is reasonable that they must obtain a copy or
browse it online. I cannot conceive of a meaningful use for having the
directory map alone.