Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2019 05:26:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@freebsd.org>, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, stable@freebsd.org, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.0 RELEASE i386 can not build a kernel?

> > > Let me guess.  You use 'make' in sys/i386/build/YOUR_KERNEL ?
> > > Then you need to use 'LD=ld.ldd make'.  The proper way of
> > > 'make buildkernel' from top-level src handles it automatically.
> > >
> > If you back up in the thread you would also see the output
> > is the same for cd /usr/src; make buildkernel conf=CUSTOM
>
> "make buildworld" or "make kernel-toolchain" needs to be run first.

Are you really rally expecting a user to rebuild the world that
he just installed that should be exactly the same world he gets
build (reproduceable builds and all??).

But in your other mail you said the proper toolchain is included,
so this is not really true?

> Also, there's a typo in kib's command - it should be LD=ld.lld (two
> 'l's, not two 'd's).
>
> There's more information about this issue (when it applied to amd64)
> at https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2018-May/018967.html.

Yes I remeber the issue but we shipped a release with the issue in it?
An issue that was hit 7 months before the release?
Really?

Isn't this just a mater of fixing the toplevel make at
/usr/src for target buildkernel to include the LD=ld.lld or
fixing the kernel Makefile likewise?