Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 16:31:20 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

<<On Mon, 19 Jun 1995 13:18:34 -0700 (PDT), Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freefall.cdrom.com> said:

>> If the state department has a problem (or potential problem) with the
>> crypt(3) in libdescrypt, why is there _no_ problem with the MD5 crypt(3)?
>> They are functionally equivalent. Was the MD5 version even vetted?

> MD5 cannot decrypt.

It's more than that; the same is true of the DES crypt().  The
significant difference between the two is that the DES crypt() is
based on real encryption software which has been specially broken,
whereas MD5 was designed from the ground up as a one-way hash
function, and is thus not even potantially subject to export controls.
(At least until the State Department learns that any one-way hash
function can be used for encryption with a little effort.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.