Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 00:42:29 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
To:        Akihiro Tominaga <tomy@gunpowder.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        brian@utell.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org, tomy@dynamite.Stanford.EDU
Subject:   Re: (wide) DHCP negotiation using the REQUEST_IPADDR option

> From: "Brian Somers" <brian.somers@utell.net>
> Subject: (wide) DHCP negotiation using the REQUEST_IPADDR option
> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:02:01 -0100
>
> > I'm not sure about the original logic behind returning -1 above.
>
> There is a paragraph in the recent I-D, pg 32;
>
>      If the network is correct, then the DHCP server should check if the
>      client's notion of its IP address is correct. If not, then the
>      server SHOULD send a DHCPNAK message to the client. If the DHCP
>      server has no record of this client, then it MUST remain silent,
>      and MAY output a warning to the network administrator. This
>      behavior is necessary for peaceful coexistence of non-communicating
>      DHCP servers on the same wire.
>
> It is important if there are more than two servers in the same
> segment.  If a server with an expired lease sends NAK, and a server
> with a valid lease sends ACK, the behavior of the client depends on
> which packet has arrived first.
[.....]

Right, so we're agreed ?  Currently, the code returns -1 (remains silent) if
it has a cid & a *different* IP that the one suggested by the client.  My
patch says it should NAK it.

I'll roll the patch into FreeBSD 'till the next wide-dhcp release.  Are there
any guess-timates on the next (beta) release ?

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>;