Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:25:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, developers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src Makefile.inc1

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:44:38PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Peter Wemm wrote:
> > > One thing that would be nice, and I have not had the patience to sit down
> > > and figure it out yet, is find some way to specify and use an *external*
> > > cross compiler and/or toolchain to do the cross build and exclude the
> > > in-tree compiler and/or toolchain.
> >
> > Setting DESTDIR causes include and library path overrides
> > that cause the system default paths to be used, instead of
> > the correct paths for the cross compiler.  See /usr/share/mk
> > for DESTDIR defined variant behaviour, for details...
> >
> Setting DESTDIR is OK since revision 1.219.

Please see the current version of bsd.lib.mk (1.99), which has:

	.if defined(DESTDIR) && !defined(BOOTSTRAPPING)
	CFLAGS+= -I${DESTDIR}/usr/include
	CXXINCLUDES+= -I${DESTDIR}/usr/include/g++
	.endif

This precludes use of other than the system toolchain; in
particular, you will get the wrong version of typeinfo and
other headers when compiling C++ code, which are compiler
specific (and even GCC version specific).

I think there are issues with the standard headers for C,
as well, should the toolchain derived version be different
than the one for the tools you are using (e.g. quad vs.
long long, etc.).

The problem is that this jams the system include paths in
front of the paths intended to override them.

As an exercise, try compiling what you can of FreeBSD
using the TenDRA or the DEC (Compaq) Alpha compilers.

-- Terry