Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:09:51 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Mozilla, M14

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 12:08:24PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 10:38:42AM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > > Just d/l the latest version, M14, of Mozilla and it has made a big
> > > leap forward since the last one I tried, M12. Been using it for a
> > > couple of days now without much trouble.
> > >
> > > http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/m14/mozilla-FreBSD3x.M14.tar.gz
> >
> > I tested this a couple weeks ago and personally I found Netscape better
> > in terms of accessibility and speed.
> >

> I don't dispute that it is still a long way from perfect, but it has
> improved immensely since M12.
>
> > My next try: Mozilla M17.
> >

> It should be up with Netscape by then.

Which to be blunt won't be much of an achievement. Netscape is by a long
stretch the most unreliable piece of software that I use under FreeBSD
and a colleague has been despairing about how unreliable it is under
Windows as well.

For years web developers used to use Netscape as their benchmark but
these days they generally complain that it's Netscape that is the
problem and that it's Explorer that behaves reliably (based on the
empirical evidence of the developer lists we follow here). Sad fact but
one I'd have to agree with based on my own experiences. If I want to
reliably surf the web I often use my Windows box to do it.

I really hope Mozilla will eventually turn out to be a decent browser
because we could do with one in FreeBSD.

Paul.