Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:26:53 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does port has gcc compiler?

On Thursday November  6, 1997, Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
 had this to say about "Does port has gcc compiler?":

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking for lastest gcc compiler, I'm using gcc 2.7 and I want
> upgrade it. But I can't find the port for gcc, would anyone tell me
> where
> I can get lastest gcc version, thanks.

Doug White and others have posted that gcc is tightly integrated with each
version of FreeBSD, and thus it's not a good idea to upgrade gcc without
upgrading the version of FreeBSD.  I have on occaision been able to
upgrade gcc as long as the header files and binaries go in /usr/local/*

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net