Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:02:10 -0500
From:      Neal Delmonico <ndelmonico@sbcglobal.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Linux Base?

Thanks for your attention to this problem and all your suggestions.
Here is what I tried.

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> (from Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:50:29
> +0400):
>
>> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:21:12 -0500 Neal Delmonico wrote:
>
>>> linux_base-fc4 with the -rf switches (portupgrade), but that does not
>>> seem to help.  I have noticed that the directories pointed to in the
>>> /usr/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf file do not seem to be linux
>>
>> Those directories are prefixed by LINUX_BASE while searching. So they
>> _are_ pointing to linux directories.
>
> To be more correct: the kernel will user /compat/linux (hardcoded) as
> a prefix... but it doesn't matter here.

I did not know this.  I removed all of the added stuff
(/usr/compat/linux) from the directories in the ld.so.conf file and did
a chroot to /compat/linux.  Then I ran the Linux ldconfig file again.
That made no difference in the behavior of the programs.
>>> directories.  Changing them to their Linux conterparts and running
>>> /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig does not correct the situation,
>
> You either need to chroot to /compat/linux by hand when running the
> linux ldconfig, or use the switch in ldconfig to let ldconfig do it.
>

>> Do you have any non-standard options at your environment
>> (i.e. LD_LIBRARY_PATH, path or else)?
>
> An additional variable to check is LD_PRELOAD. Both should not be set.

Nothing comes up when I do an env.  None of the rc files (cshrc, bashrc,
profile, etc) set either of those variables.  Is there another way to check?
> Make sure you either have linux in the kernel or loaded as a module
> (yes, you may be sure this is the case, but please check again).
I have these options set in my kernel config file:

options         COMPAT_LINUX32
options         LINPROCFS               .
options         LINSYSFS

and linux_enable="YES" in my rc.conf file.  The kldstat does not list
linux.ko, however.  Is there any way to check beyond that?

> pkg_delete/pkg_deinstall every linux port. Make sure you don't have
> any linux related knobs enabled in make.conf. Remove the /compat/linux
> subtree completely (rm -rf). This is to make sure you don't have any
> old files there. Now install acroread and try to run it.

I will try this and report back.  Thanks.

Neal