Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 21:20:01 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Adam W. Hawks" <root@pent.vnet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I set 100MB mode on fxp0

>> >I have a Intel EtherExpress Pro 100b card and can't get it do
>> >talk at any speed but 10MB. What do I have to do to get it in
>> >100MB mode.
>> >
> (snip)
>>
>>    Do you have a 100Mbit switch? You can't do both modes without a switch.
>
>no. There is no jumpers or switches on the card.

   :-) Uh, that's not what I meant. An ethernet switch is a special device
that does packet-level switching and has significant performance advantages
over a non-switching ethernet hub. It also allows for ethernet bridging,
and as a side-effect, can simultaneously support both 10Mbit and 100Mbit
ethernet.

>> If you have the machine connected by a cross-over cable, be warned that the
>> Pro/100B's auto speed detection doesn't deal with this correctly when the
>> cards on both ends are Pro/100B's. It does seem to work when one card is
>> a DEC chip based card, however.
>
>Both ends are Pro/100B's. Does that mean I will not be able to get it to
>work in 100MB mode?

   Are they connected by a cross-over cable or a hub? If they are connected by
a cross-over cable, then the answer is no, you'll need to at least get a
100Mbit hub. I complained to Intel about this deficiency a long time ago and
was told that "cross-over cables aren't supported".

>Also does the Berkley Packet filter's make it default to 10MB. The file
>if_fxp.c makes it look like it does?

   BPF has nothing to do with the interface speed. I think you're probably
refering to the device class, which is DLT_EN10MB and serves double-duty
for both 10 and 100Mbit ethernet. In any case, this is only used to identify
the link-layer encapsulation type for BPF.

-DG

David Greenman