Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:06:31 -0500
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT in pretty good shape, after all

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 10:35:44AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> that could change real soon!

  I certainly *hope* not. If you plan to break it, you plan to break it,
but I hope you don't plan to render it unstable. There is a difference
between breaking the build, breaking -CURRENT because of one thing you
happened to have missed when you committed and breaking it for a
prolonged period of time without actually knowing what broke it and then
having to do `guess-work' and needless debugging because someone
committed totally broken code. By -CURRENT's description, the former is
acceptable, every once in a while, but the latter is not. The latter
just leads to a lot of blood spillage and is evidence of a
not-well-tested set of changes. So, it's acceptable to go: "Oh, I did
this wrong and broke -CURRENT, let me fix it" every once in a while but
it shouldn't be acceptable to go "euh, -CURRENT is broken and it's
probably because of me but I have no friggin' clue how or why. I don't
even know where to start looking." It's just common sense.

--
Bosko Milekic
bmilekic@unixdaemons.com