Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:24:50 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broken installworld?

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 09:24:02PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Seems like this has been broken for some time? I might just go off and 'fix'
> unless somebody fixes it first.
>
> install -c -o root  -g wheel -m 555   rcs-to-cvs
> /usr/share/examples/cvs/contrib/rcs-to-cvs
> cp /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/contrib/../../../../contrib/cvs/contrib/rcs2log.sh
> rcs2log
> cp:No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/contrib.
> *** Error code 1

You shouldn't normally see this -- these commands should
be executed during `buildworld'.  I don't know whether
there were any related problems in pmap.c that could
have cause this, but please make sure that time is
set correctly during `buildworld' and `installworld'.
One possible case is when `installworld' is run on
a just-rebooted machine, and the timezone isn't yet
set with adjkerntz(8).  That could fool make(1) to
think that some of its targets are out-of-date.
This could also have happened if sources have future
date:

$ touch -t 200201010000 a.sh
$ cat Makefile
a:	a.sh
	touch ${.TARGET}

With this, `a' will be considered out-of-date until
the January 1st of 2002.

Check the dates on /usr/src/contrib/cvs/ sources.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,