Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:27:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Protection from the dreaded "rm -fr /"

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Dmitry Karasik wrote:

> I just wonder, if 'rm' is so fearful to you, why bother changing rm(1)?
> Write a simple wrapper around, as many sysadmins do for their needs, and
> use it instead of rm.

Precisely.

This is -hackers; why do we need to be protected from ourselves?  You
typed it, you suffer the consequences (and you'll think very carefully
before hitting RETURN next time).  Or don't you trust those to whom you
have given root access?

I can't believe we're having this conversation.

-- Dave