Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2020 13:38:32 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?B?SsOBS8OTIEFuZHLDoXM=?= <jako.andras@eik.bme.hu>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   vnet jails on VLAN subinterfaces

 Hello everyone,

I've already asked this on forums.freebsd.org, but didn't get an answer
yet. I hope someone can answer it here.

I'd like to use 802.1Q tagged VLANs on an Ethernet interface, one VLAN
per jail. I assigned VLAN subinterfaces to the jail's network stacks:

em0 - em0.99 (host)
em0 - em0.100 (jail0)
em0 - em0.101 (jail1)

Here em0 and em0.99 belong to the base system while em0.10[01] belong to
the jails' network stacks.

This works perfectly so far. But I didn't see this setup mentioned
anywhere, that's why I'm curious whether this a "valid" setup, do I use
vnet correctly? Or does it only work by accident?

I found vnet jail examples using one epair per jail, which is connected
to the physical interface by a bridge. With tagged 802.1Q VLANs this
could look something like the following:

em0 - em0.99 (host)
em0 - em0.100 - bridge0 - epair0a - epair0b (jail0)
em0 - em0.101 - bridge1 - epair1a - epair1b (jail1)

Here epair[01]b belong to the jails' network stacks, and all other
interfaces to the base system. This works too, but is more complicated
than the one without bridges and epairs.

AndrĂ¡s