Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:39:23 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 MIDI config -- Success

Conrad Sabatier:
 |On 18-Nov-97 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
 |>
 |> as i already posted yesterday, the docs from the Linux support for the
 |> AWExx say that the card actually uses three (3) addresses, which are
 |> (going from memory here) 0x620, 0xa20, 0xe20. You have to set all three
 |> in your PnP config menu otherwise the proba fails.
 |
 |Yes, YES, *YES*!  That was it!  I was only configuring the base AWE address
 |(0x620) before.  Finally, I now have a fully functioning AWE64 working
 |under FreeBSD!  Drvmidi works!  Sounds great, too!  Joy!  Rapture!
 |
 |Thank you so much, Luigi and Randall!

Hey, cool!  Most thanks to Luigi for his PnP code.

If you'll take a minute to write up just what you did (driver
versions/URLs, relevent kernel config file blurbs, FreeBSD version used,
kernel patches, etc.), I will put a link to this off the AWEDRV home page.

You may not "how _many_" SB32/AWE32/AWE64*PnP owners have posted to the
lists or mailed me in recent months about getting past the PnP problems (lots).

All would find your instructions _very_ helpful!

Have fun!

Randall

P.S. Now, in case you don't have some, you'll want some larger MIDI
     soundfonts to stuff in your wavetable mem that'll make it sound even
     better!

     For some that'll fit in 1M, 2M, and 8M, respectively, check out:

           http://www.lysator.liu.se/awe/

     in particular:

           http://www.edu.isy.liu.se/~d93jesno/sfindex.html

     under the "Other" section.  Having 2M of mem myself, I have this in
     my /etc/rc.local to load the second one (guit_gm.sbk):

     nice -20 sfxload -i -V 100 /opt/pkg/awedrv/lib/guit_gm.sbk &

     so the wavetable is primed and ready for MIDIs :-)

P.S.S. Wanna a .tgz of a bunch of cool MIDI files?