Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:16:34 -0500
From:      Mark Hounschell <markh@compro.net>
To:        Neil Phipps <nphipps@sgi.com>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: driver patch file installation

Neil Phipps wrote:

> I had a similar problem at first ... the files are gz files and you need
> to load them as gz and then zcat -d them (at least thats what I do) ...
> then cd to /usr/src/linux and then run the patch from there ... more or
> less ... Doug has some instructions on his page as well ...
>
> regards,
>
> Neil
>
> Mark Hounschell wrote:
> >
> > I've got patch files to go from 5.1.25 to 5.1.31 from
> > http://people.redhat.com/dledford/. I can't seem to get
> > them installed.
> >
> > I copy them to /usr/src/linux/
> > I cd to /usr/src/linux
> > I execute the patch command "patch --dry-run -p1 <aic7xxx-5.1.26.patch"
> > I get:
> >
> > patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
> > patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.
> >
> > Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
> > http://people.redhat.com/dledford/
> > --
> > Mark Hounschell
> > markh@compro.net

> --
> Neil Phipps
> Silicon Graphics.
> Phone : 1-(650)-933-3956
> Fax   : 1-(650)-933-3542

You say I need to load them as gz? Using netscape I just click on say
aic7xxx-5.1.26.patch and it saves it to disk. If I then do a "zcat -d
aic7xxx-5.1.26.patch" on it I get a bunch of what looks like garbage
ont he screen and then:

zcat: aic7xxx-5.1.26.patch: invalid compressed data--crc error

Is is possible that netscpae isn't downloading the file correctly?
I've never had any problems downloading anything that way. Compressed
tar files, RPM's, whatever, never had a problem.

I've tried everything DLedford suggests on his site to no avail.

--
Mark Hounschell
markh@compro.net