Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:34:01 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0-RC2 amd64 SMP Unsupported relocation type at boot

--------------enig11484294007BCFD079928B80

Kernel Jake wrote:
> Background: standard install using releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/7.0/7.0-RC=
2-amd64-disc1.iso on a 80GB SATA drive.
> Motherboard: Supermicro H8SSL-i with AMIBIOS 8.00.11 2/21/06
>=20
> Right before the login prompt should appear in multiuser mode, the boot=
 process stops with:
>=20
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libedit.so.6: Unsupported relocation type 48=
886 in non-PLT relocations
>=20
> If I boot to single user mode and immediately exit the shell, the multi=
user boot process completes and the login prompt appears, but the followi=
ng error appears prior to the login prompt:
>=20
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.9: invalid file format (3 tim=
es)
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libssl.so.5: Undefined symbol "i2d_DHpar=
ams (2 times)
>=20
> And then a subsequent command like "man nc" yields:
>=20
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: troff: Shared object has no runtime symbol table.=

Something is probably corrupting the executables. Probably one of these
things:

- bad memory (run memtest86)
- bad hard drive / controller (check if other data are also affected)
- bad installation media (download another)