Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 00:08:08 -0800
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, jdp@polstra.com, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:50:37AM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	I'm sorry Bill, but your actions in this process leave me feeling
> rather unsympathetic to you.  I understand your level of involvement
> so far in the JDK, but your incessant use of foul language and your
> extremely aggressive tone pretty much eliminate any real chance of
> getting people to buy into your underlying message.

The message is pretty simple and yes, I am pissed. Basically, a few
people in the FreeBSD Java group felt threatened by me in some way,
held a stupid grudge and then acted out on it when grant politics came
around.

> 	I don't agree with John's public posting of the e-mail exchange,
> at least not so soon in this discussion.  However, your decision to
> take this matter public in your own way kind of absolves him of a lot
> of guilt on this issue.

The tone is irrelevant, he and that group have a responsibility with
that money and how it is dealt with in relation to the rest of the
FreeBSD project.

> 	Maybe John and the FreeBSD Foundation made a mistake in this
> process.  If they did, I'm very sorry.  But it's kind of hard to tell
> what really happened or why, when faced with all your thermonuclear
> flaming.

It's difficult to keep calm in this situation, you might like to Google
for my technical post as to my involvement with this project to see how
and why anybody with any genine caring for the success of a project would
be pissed if Nate Williams, Greg Lewis and company decided to go behind
your back and then pull some political move to exclude me from a political
body that I've always been effectvely apart of since the very beginning
of my involvement...

It's simple not his decision to make behind my and everybody elses back.
And with his influence with the FreeBSD Foundation, well... put the two
together and you get something pretty sinister looking, whether it's
intentional or not.

> 	If I were on the FreeBSD Foundation and I had previous experience
> with this kind of incredibly rude behaviour from you in the past, I

I mean, I think I have some justification for it.

> can certainly see how I might be inclined to pick someone else to be
> chosen as the person we would be paying to do this work.

They have to deal with this in professional manner, I lightly proded,
but got more and more irrational resistence as I kept trying to get a
decent answer. Ignoring this doesn't make sense. Turns out, the folks
that stabbed me behind my back are in my own group.

> 	You have done yourself a very grave disservice in this whole
> process.  If your level of contribution so far truly is as extensive
> as you claim, and there really are so few people in the world who
> could possibly have a chance of understanding the system, then I do
> sorely regret your choice in this matter.
>
> 	However, while your anger would seem to be justifiable, your
> behaviour is not.

Then how the hell should I behave in a context with hostile and
resistent people ? Allow these folks to walk over me ?

bill