Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:37:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        obrien@antares.aero.org (Mike O'Brien)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: X-inside memory footprint

Mike O'Brien writes:
> 	I discovered a way serious memory leak in the MIT X server for
> the Sun, having to do with the server option to retain bitmaps for
> obscured windows as a display accelerator.  Netscape's scrolling behavior
> tickles this very badly, resulting in an X server that's over 100 Meg
> within minutes.  Possibly XAccel has a similar problem.

I've been told on good authority that XAccel has a number of leaks,
but this doesn't fit the pattern.  The memory usage goes up gradually
over a period of some time, and Netscrape doesn't seem to accelerate
this behaviour.  I fired one up just a while back, and it hasn't
changed the VSZ at all.

BTW, does anybody know why RSS is so much larger than VSZ?  Is this
malloced memory?

Greg