Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:22:02 -0500
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        bryanh@meridian-enviro.com, pedersen@meridian-enviro.com, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with UP2000+

Doug> We've got a Microway UP2000+ system that's been working just fine for
Doug> the last year. That is, until it seems to have developed some hardware
Doug> related problems.

John> It sounds like interrupts have stopped working.

Yup. And now it is simply stopped working all together. I think the
motherboard is busted. The system won't even boot now, not even into
SRM. Both the video and serial console (which I normally use
exclusively) are completely quiet when power is applied. All the fans
turn, and the correct LEDs light. But thats it.

I've tried swapping RAM, with only one (and then the other) CPU, and
no PCI cards, and with different power supply configurations (N+1
config with 3 hot-swap power supplies) all with no luck.

Currently the system is dead and we've moved its responsibilities
someplace else.

John> A couple of questions for you:

John> 1) Does it still happen if you disable SMP (set
John>    kern.smp.disabled=1 in the loader to test)?

Sorry, can't test this.  :)

John> 2) Does it still happen if you remove PREEMPTION from your
John>    kernel config?  (Can't recall if that was removed in 6.x on
John>    Alpha before or after 6.1)

All I can say is that PREEMPTION was in the kernel config.

Thanks for the reply. At this point we are assuming that the mobo is
busted and not worth fixing. (Unless somebody has the right
incantation.)