Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:36:55 -0500
From:      Samuel Stringham <me@mail.samuelstringham.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell Inspiron 4000 woes

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 4000, which is running 5.3-BETA5.
I am unable to get the ACPI to function correctly on this
machine.  I have dug around google for hours, looked=20
through the source (though I am not quite familiar enough
to make changes), but could not find any great howtos on
getting the suspend/resume working how I would like.

Here is the state now:
S1: will detach wireless card, leave hard drive spun, not
sure about CPU stepping.  When suspending from X, it first
switches to console, then 'freezes' without turning off
the LCD.

S2: not tested/supported

S3: will detach pcmcia wireless card, spin down hard drive,
not sure about CPU stepping.  When suspending from X, it
first switches to console, then turns off for a second,=20
then turns back on completely _white_.

S4: I don't have a partition to handle this correctly.

S5: shutdown, as expected.

So, I have come to realize that S3 will probably be my best
bet.  However, I can't get the monitor to turn off.  I was
wondering if anyone else had any good hints on getting this
working correctly.

My configuration output is located here:

http://samuelstringham.com/devinfo.txt
http://samuelstringham.com/dmesg.txt
http://samuelstringham.com/kldstat.txt
http://samuelstringham.com/pciconf.txt
http://samuelstringham.com/sysctl.txt
http://samuelstringham.com/dell_insp_4000_samuelstringham.dsl

And the only thing I have done to my rc.resume/suspend=20
scripts is the addition of:

sysctl  hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=3D1

to rc.resume, so that my monitor comes back up correctly.
If I leave this out, sometimes my X will look like the=20
timings are off or something (like a shadow image across
the right hand side of the screen).

Please help, and much karma will be in store for you.

Best regards,

Samuel Stringham

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--