Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 12:56:57 -0600 (CST)
To:        petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de (Michael Beckmann)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk or controller or driver failure ?

> > } Are these signs of a dying disk or is it the controller ? Or might it be
> > } a driver problem ? Has anyone seen this before ?
> >
> > Well, I'd take those messages to mean what they say:
> >
> > HARDWARE FAILURE: Random positioning error.
> >
> > This is an extended error code, returned by the hard disk,
> > and printed by the generic SCSI code.
> >
> > Make backups !
>
> Every day !
>
> > PS: You may want to check the power supply, too. This
> >     could be caused by an out of spec 12V supply ...
>
> All I have is a digital voltmeter. I could only check if the voltage is
> correct; not if there are "brownouts" or something. But thanks a lot for
> this hint. You might be right. Maybe I'll have to change the power supply
> (build my machine into another housing).

I think i had one of those when my stepper went bibi once.  hard disks with
the cover off make nice conversation pieces on the coffee table or
mantlepiece....  :^( [and incredibly sad stories].

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or