Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:55:22 +1200
From:      Benjamin <byu17@uclive.ac.nz>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux binary looks for /proc/cpuinfo, dies when cannot be found, even when linprocfs mounted.

On 06/23/12 20:57, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 02:23:42PM +1200, Benjamin wrote:
>> Hi all. I have posted this question on the forums, and it was suggested
>> that I post it here.
>>
>> I am currently porting Altera Quartus II design software to FreeBSD. I
>> have got it installing, but running the binary requires /proc/cpuinfo to
>> exist, and it dies when it can't find it.
>>
>> I have both procfs and linprocfs mounted.
> To be sure, show us the mount -v output.

[snipped]
linprocfs on /usr/compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
[/snipped]

>> As a workaround (read hack) I can do the following to make the binary
>> execute.
>>
>> 1. unmount procfs.
>> 2. symlink /compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo to /proc/cpuinfo
>>
>> Since this problem has no doubt come up before, what is the best way to
>> get around this issue?
> No, it did not came up before.
>
> Show the file(1) output on the binary which exhibit the faulty behaviour.
Aha. I think you've identified the problem

quartus_sh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped

brandelf(1)ing this to Linux seems to have worked. What does SYSV
represent anyway? "brandelf -l" only lists

known ELF types are: FreeBSD(9) Linux(3) Solaris(6) SVR4(0)

so what does SYSV mean?

Cheers.